We all know applying and wearing red lipstick is a bit of an art - definitely not what you dab on when your driving your car. We're so glad to have guest blogger Caitlin Hucks, General Manager at Ulta Beauty, share her expert tips.
1) Moisturize! - apply a layer of your favorite lip balm and let sit while you finish the rest of your makeup. Don't forget - Red lipstick is a big statement; it should be the focus. Don't overdo eye makeup or blush.
2) Prime! - blot off any extra balm and apply a layer of lip primer for longer wear (my favorite is the colorless lip pencil Ozone from Urban Decay)
3) Apply a layer of your chosen red lipstick. Skin tones, lip size and face shape play a role in your color selection. If you have fair skin go for a red with blue undertones. Olive skin looks best in warmer reds with undertones of yellow/gold. If you have ruddy skin, choose a pinkish red. Dark brown skin is fabulous in a bold, bright fuchsia red. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
4) Blot once with a tissue and dust a light layer of translucent powder over your lips
5) Apply one last layer of red lipstick and clean up the edges with a clean lip brush
You are good to go! and sip and nibble and smooch!
Top Five Summer Red Lipsticks:
1) YSL Rouge Pur Couture in #13 for a bright orange red
2) Butter London Moisture Matte Lippie in a Old Blighty for a rusty red
3) Bite Luminous Creme Lipstick in Tannin for a bright cranberry red
4) Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella for a deeper blue-red
5) It Cosmetics Blurred Lines in It Girl for a perfect balanced red!
Last but not least, a sheer balm for beginners who are a little shy about a full blown red lip: Fresh Sugar Lip Balm in Cherry. It's got just enough color and heaps of hydration. Just be careful not to leave it in your car in our famously hot summer heat!
Thanks and hope to see you at Ulta!